Looking for a quick and easy dinner party desert... these Fruit Tarts are it. Prep in advance and assemble just before serving for a big WOW factor!
Simply gorgeous to look at, they are deceptively simple to make. Crisp, flaking pastry, lush rich cream and divine fresh fruit - yum!
Upsize to a generous single tart if you prefer, or make mini ones for mini people or to serve alongside other deserts.
I prefer to make them not too sweet as the cream is quite rich, but if they're not sweet enough for your taste, simply add a bit more honey to your mix.
- 1 packet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 packet/160g of full fat cream cheese
- 100ml extra thick double cream
- 60g thick natural greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp honey
- 30g icing sugar
- Seeds from 1 fresh vanilla pod (if you can't get this, use 1 tsp vanilla paste)
- 1 tsp orange flower water
- Fresh soft fruit of your choice - use what's in season; figs are gorgeous when ripe
- Zest of 1 orange
- I egg, beaten
- Icing sugar for dusting or drizzle with more honey if you prefer
- Fresh fruit of your choice
- Fresh mint for decoration
- Pre-heat your oven to 220°C.
- Line your baking tray with greaseproof baking paper.
- Leave your pastry whole or cut to size, we cut ours into 6 equal pieces. Whatever size you chose, score a 'picture-frame' 1cm inside the edge of your pastry.
- Place your pastry on the baking paper, bake for 10 minutes until puffed up but not fully browned.
- Remove from the oven and press down the central area of pastry to leave a raised frame around the edge. Brush the frame lightly with beaten egg. Bake for approximately a further 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Set aside to cool. Once cool, store in a sealed container until ready to use.
- To make the cheesecake cream put the cream, cream cheese, yogurt, vanilla, icing sugar, honey and orange flower water into a bowl and fold together with a plastic spatula until it's well combined and has thickened. Don't beat it. Definitely don't use an electric whisk. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- To create the tarts, simply fill the middle of your puff pastry with a generous amount of cheesecake cream. Decorate with fruit as you wish. Pile high with a single fruit or mix your fruits together. Your tarts, your style.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar or drizzle with honey and sprinkle over the zest of an orange. Top with a sprig of fresh mint for contrast.
Prep time: 35 mins