Salmon, chick peas, spicy Harissa paste, parsley and lemon. 10 minutes max. so-simple-you-can't-belive it.
I have all of these ingredients on hand in the kitchen at all times because they're so versatile. As an added bonus - they're cheap and good for you.
This is a family favourite for me because it's so unbelievably quick and easy - I cook it at least once a fortnight because I'm a busy mum and don't have the time (or inclination) to think of something new every week.
Plus I love Harissa. Originally from North Africa, it's an aromatic blend of chiles, garlic, olive oil and spices such as coriander and caraway, sometimes a bit of cumin. It's readily available in supermarkets and delis.
Harissa can be used in so many ways: spice up everything from meat to veg, add a bit to roast potatoes or carrots. Mix with yoghurt and mayonnaise or hummus for a quick spicy dip.
I tend to use a Rose Harissa which has a gently smoky, lasting heat rather than a blow-your-head-off hit. Chilies, spices and rose petals - what could be more appealing?
It has an amazing red colour that transports you to the souk and tints everything in a gorgeously warm way. But, as with most things hot and spicy, it's dangerous on your clothes. WEAR AN APRON!
Up the spice content for adults, tone it done for children. Keep your hash heavily textured for grown ups or mash it up a bit and shape into mini burgers and pan fry for mini people.
- 2 packets hot smoked salmon flakes (approx 100g per packet)
- 400g tin ready cooked chick peas, drained
- 1 packet ready cooked brown shrimp (optional/approx 70g)
- 1-2 tsps Rose Harissa paste
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Toss the chick peas in the Harissa paste in a frying pan for a few minutes. (Depending on the paste you've bought you probably won't need any additional oil. If you do, use the smallest amount of sunflower oil.)
- Add your salmon flakes and brown shrimp (if using) to the pan and heat through. Use a wooden spoon to gently move about the pan, but try not to break up the flakes too much.
- Add your parsley, lemon zest and juice. Stir briefly.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Serves 2 hungry adults or 4 hungry children