This recipe is perfect for a speedy lunch or light dinner. 10 minutes in the making, it tastes incredible and is superb for your brain, body and bones.
It's wonderfully healthy - stuffed with protein, vitamins and minerals plus essential fatty acids. The ingredients keep for ages in the fridge so you can mix it up when the mood takes you or time is short. It's a great way to get your oh-so-necessary doses of oily fish.
I like to grate fresh horseradish on top for added vigour! (Plus it's one of the few ways I know how to use fresh horseradish!)
- 1 packet of hot smoked mackerel fillets
- 1 heaped tsp hot horseradish sauce
- 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard. (I use one with cider in too for extra zing.)
- 1 lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh horseradish
- Remove the skins from the mackerel fillets and take out any obvious bones. Put into a bowl and roughly mash with a fork.
- Add your horseradish sauce and wholegrain mustard.
- Season with salt & pepper and the juice and zest of a lemon.
- Grate fresh horseradish on top if you have it.
- Serve with crunchy fresh bread or toasted bagels.
Serves 2 hungry people or 4 as a starter.